Monday, July 7, 2014

California Trip- Arrival

Our trip to California started out a little rocky.  I'm one of those people who likes to get to the airport 2 hours ahead of time. I would much rather grab a bite to eat and wait around than be rushing and chance missing the flight so we left a little more than 2 1/2 hours before our flight took off.  Well the road right outside of our complex was doing construction and it took 45 minutes to go 2 miles.  And then we were at a dead stop where there wasn't a spot to turn at.  Finally Kory went over the median, turned around and went another way that is quite a bit longer (but due to construction, we had no choice).

(or airport!)

We got to the airport about 45 minutes before our plane took off.  Eek!  Kory dropped me off with luggage and then went to park the car and take the shuttle back.  I couldn't check his luggage in for him (I figured this much so no big deal and there was absolutely no line) but I did have one big issue.  I have a Delta Skymiles Credit Card.  Since I have gotten the card over 10 years ago, I have always gotten free luggage for me and whoever is flying with me.  That's the main reason I book Delta--it's not worth it if I have to pay baggage fees.  Well, they told me I don't have the right card for that benefit and never should have gotten the benefit.  I explained that I had gotten free baggage many many times and the lady told me that wasn't correct. having to pay luggage on top of the lateness made a very grumpy Andrea.

(ok, yeah, a little over dramatic but I was so not in the mood )

We had just enough time for me to hit the bathroom, grab a bottle of coke and when we got to the gate, our plane was already loading.  We had been planning on eating at the airport since our plane left at 6:50 and we didn't get in until 9pm Cali time, so midnight our time.  Luckily, my dad is a major elite member of Delta gave us drink/snack comps for us to use on the flight.

(Thanks Dad!)

The actual flight was pretty easy except once we landed, LAX couldn't get the jetway (the ramp) to work.  We sat right outside it for awhile then had to be tugged over to another one.  So we didn't actually get off the plane until 10.

Baggage was pretty simple as was getting the shuttle to the LAX Marriott.  My dad is major elite there too so for our anniversary present, he gave us two nights stay there on the concierge level.

By the time we got checked in, it was close to 10:45 and we decided to hit up the sports bar.  It was 1:45 our time, and I had been up since 6:45 but it was vacation so I was all for it! We headed down to the Champions Sports Bar to grab a beer and check out the sports highlights.

 We saw a group of kids who were all wearing these heavy duty headphones.  Turned out there were the group Monster Kids.  I'd never heard of them, but we saw their van and figured it out :)

After one beer it was midnight so we decided to head to bed.  We had a busy day the next day!

No comments:

Post a Comment